Monday, January 14, 2013

Kalbi Short Ribs


On a recent trip to O'ahu to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, my husband and I enjoyed the ono-licious local foods! My husband especially enjoyed Kalbi! Kabli is Korean Short Ribs and in the islands it's usually served plate-lunch style along with hot rice, macaroni salad and kim chee on the side.  In the past I have made Kalbi but only using the pre-bottled type marinade bought in the Korean grocery store and I've never been happy with the taste….it always had that something missing! This time I've come up with a marinade made from scratch that I'm really happy with and fills the bill! These ribs can be made anytime of the year! Hope you enjoy it as well as my husband!

Ingredients:
4 pounds of Beef short ribs. Make certain that the pieces are not full of fat.

Marinade:
1-½ cups soy sauce
½ cup water
¾ cup brown sugar
4-5 cloves of minced garlic
½ medium onion, (either Vidalia or Maui type), chopped
4 medium green onions, cut into small pieces
2 TBSP toasted sesame seeds

Directions:
Mix soy sauce, water and sugar well in microwave bowl. Heat in microwave just enough to warm mixture so that the sugar is easily diluted with the liquid. Add the garlic, onion, green onions, and sesame seeds and mix well. Pour over short ribs in a deep container. Make sure all the ribs are covered with the marinade. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight, at least 12 hours.

Cook:
Oven Broil - heat oven to Low Broil. Place oven rack near top of oven. Place short rib pieces on an Oven Broiler pan and cook on each side 8-9 minutes with oven door open.

Grill - heat grill to medium-high heat and grill each side 3-4 minutes.

Serve with hot rice, macaroni salad and kim chee!

****I purchased all ingredients for this dish at my local grocery, Market Basket.


No comments: